新概念英语第三册/Lesson 1 A Puma at Large
新概念英语第三册 Lesson 01 A Puma at large 逃遁的美洲狮
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
- Where must the puma have come from?
Pumas are large, cat-like animals which are found in America. When reports came into London Zoo that a wild puma had been spotted forty-five miles south of London, they were not taken seriously. However, as the evidence began to accumulate, experts from the Zoo felt obliged to investigate, for the descriptions given by people who claimed to have seen the puma were extraordinarily similar.
The hunt for the puma began in a small village where a woman picking blackberries saw 'a large cat' only five yards away from her. It immediately ran away when she saw it, and experts confirmed that a puma will not attack a human being unless it is cornered. The search proved difficult, for the puma was often observed at one place in the morning and at another place twenty miles away in the evening. Wherever it went, it left behind it a trail of dead deer and small animals like rabbits. Paw prints were seen in a number of places and puma fur was found clinging to bushes. Several people complained of "cat-like noises' at night and a businessman on a fishing trip saw the puma up a tree. The experts were now fully convinced that the animal was a puma, but where had it come from? As no pumas had been reported missing from any zoo in the country, this one must have been in the possession of a private collector and somehow managed to escape.weeks, but the puma was not caught. It is disturbing to think that a dangerous wild animal is still at large in the quiet countryside.
[编辑] New words and expressions 生词和短语
- n. 美洲狮
- v. 看出，发现
- n. 证据
- v. 积累，积聚
- v. 使……感到必须
- n. 追猎；寻找
- n. 黑莓
- human being
- v. 使走投无路，使陷入困境
- n. 一串，一系列
- n. 印痕
- v. 粘
- v. 使……信服
- adv. 不知怎么搞地，不知什么原因
- v. 令人不安
[编辑] New words and expression 生词和短语
- puma n.美洲狮
- spot v.看出, 发现
- see, pick out, recognize, catch sight of 强调结果, 辨别出, 看见, 识别, 发现
- A tall man is easy to spot in the crowd.
- He has good eye for spotting mistakes.
- find：强调发现的结果 / find out：查出事实真相
- discover：做出重大发现 / notice：注意到
- observe：观察 / watch：观察活动中的人或画面
- Spot n.斑点
- -- There is a white spot on the shirt.
- on the spot有两个含义：
- 1> 立刻, 马上（at once, immediately）
- -- Anyone breaking the rules will be asked to leave on the spot.
- 2> at the place of the action 在现场
- -- Wherever she is needed, she is quickly on the spot.
- Evidence n.证据（不可数名词）
- Evident adj.明显的, 显然的 / evidently adv.明显地, 显然
- Evidence = proof (n.证据)
- -- When the police arrived, he had already destroyed the evidence.
- in evidence 显而易见的
- -- He was in evidence at the party.
- Accumulate v.积累, 积聚（强调积累的过程）
- -- As the evidence accumulates, experts from the zoo felt obliged to investigate.
- Gather vt.聚集, 把某人召集在某处
- -- The teacher gathered his students in the class
- Collect vt.搜集, 采集
- -- Do you collect stamps? Yes, I collect stamps as my hobby.（n.业余爱好）
- Assemble v.集合, 集会 / 装配
- -- A large number of people assemble on the square.
- Hoard vt.大量的储存 （-- hoard up = store up 储藏）
- -- The squirrel hoards up nuts for the cold winter （squirrel n.松鼠）（nut n.坚果）
- amass vt.积聚（主要用于诗歌和文学作品）
- -- The clouds amassed above the hills
- Oblige v.使…感到必须
- feel obliged to do sth 感觉有必要做某事
- -- I feel obliged to say no to his demand（n.要求, 需要）
- be obliged to do sth 被迫做某事
- -- They were obliged to sell their car to pay their debts off.（debt n.债务）
- hunt v.n.追猎, 寻找 （hunt for）
- -- The experts from London zoo began to hunt (v.) for a puma.
- -- The hunt (n.) for the puma proved the difficult. （prove vt.证明, 证实）
- search 搜寻某处为了寻找到某人或某物
- -- The police were searching the forest for the missing boy.
- run after 强调追赶, 追求
- -- look, a dog is running after a cat
- -- what are you run after in your life
- seek = pursue v.追寻(理想)
- chase v.追赶 （-- They are chasing a thief / They are running after a thief）
- blackberry n.黑莓 / berry n.浆果
- human being 人类
- corner v.使走投无路, 使陷入困境 作为动词, 经常使用被动语态
- -- The thief was cornered at last
- -- The problem cornered me.
- corner n.角落
- -- at the corner of the street -- in the corner of the room -- on the corner of the desk
- Trail n.一串, 一系列
- trail vt. 跟踪, 追踪（= follow）
- -- The police trailed the criminal to the place where he was hiding （criminal n.罪犯）
- Print n.印痕
- Cling v.粘 （clung, clung, clinging）
- -- She is always clinging to her mother.
- -- He clung to the hope that he would succeed. 他怀有成功的希望
- stick v.粘住 （-- stick the envelop）n.信封
- stick to 坚持 （-- stick to the plan / stick to one’s promise）n.许诺
- sticky adj.粘的 （-- sticky fingers）
- convince v.使…信服
- 1>convince sb of sth -- I convince him of my honesty.（n.诚实, 正直） 我使他相信我的诚实。
- 2> be convinced that… -- I am convinced that she is honest girl.（adj.诚实的, 正直的）
- somehow adv.不知怎么搞地, 不知什么原因
- = by some means, in some way, for some reason unknown
- -- I’ll get the book back somehow. 无论如何我要把这本书取回来。
- -- I got lost somehow 不知怎么搞地, 我迷失了。
- Somewhat adv.稍微, 有点, 有些 （= a little）
- -- The price is somewhat higher than I expect.（high adj.高的）
- disturb v.令人不安
- disturbing adj.令人不安的 / disturbed adj.感到不安的
- surprising adj.令人惊讶的 / surprised adj.感到惊讶的
- exciting adj.令人激动的 / excited adj.感到激动的
- wild adj.野性的, 野生的
- investigate v.调查, 研究
- description n.描写, 描述
- extraordinarily adv.特别地，非常地，格外
- similar adj.相似的, 类似的
- attack vt.攻击
- difficult adj.困难的, 艰难的 difficulty n.困难, 难点
- rabbit n.兔, 野兔
- paw n.手掌, 手爪
- fur n.毛皮, 毛, 软毛
- bush n.矮树丛
- fully adv.充分地, 完全地
- collector n.收藏家, 征收者
[编辑] Text 课文
at large 逃遁的, 没有被控制的 -- The thief is still at large
at large 详细地（= in detail）n.细节, 详情 -- I need talk to you at large
at large 总体来讲（= as a whole）
-- The students at large are hungry for English. （hungry adj.饥饿的, 渴望的）
Where must the puma have come from?
Pumas are large, cat-like animals which are found in America.
-- Pandas are large cat-like animals which are found in Asia. （panda n.熊猫）
cat-like 猫一样的, 偷偷摸摸的 / dog-like 狗一样的 / life-like 栩栩如生的
When reports came into London Zoo that a wild puma had been spotted forty-five miles
south of London, they were not taken seriously.
-- 指人：主语who；宾语who, whom；定语 whose
-- 指物：that（也可以指人）/ which
-- 时间状语：when / 地点状语：where / 原因状语：why
-- 时间：when； 地点：where
-- An idea came to her that she might do the experiment in another way.
-- I have no idea what has happened to him。
they were not taken seriously（they指代reports）
take sth seriously = deal with sth seriously 认真地对待某事
-- I always take your suggestions seriously.
take sth lightly 草率地对待某事 （lightly adv.轻率地）
-- Don’t take the hot potato lightly （hot potato n.棘手的问题）
However, as the evidence began to accumulate, experts from the Zoo felt obliged to
investigate, for the descriptions given by people who claimed to have seen the puma were
As 连词：随着, 当...之时
-- the descriptions given by people
-- the story told by the sailor (n.海员, 水手, 船员)
-- a book written by Luxun
claim to have done sth 声称曾经做过某事
-- He claimed to have been the manager of the large shop.
The hunt for the puma began in a small village where a woman picking blackberries saw
'a large cat' only five yards away from her.
Where a woman picking… 定语从句
-- I still remember the school where I studied English.
It immediately ran away when she saw it, and experts confirmed that a puma will not attack
a human being unless it is cornered.
Confirm = be sure = be certain (confirm vt.确定)
Unless it is cornered = if it is not cornered (unless conj.如果不, 除非)
-- He will accept the job unless the salary is too low.
The search proved difficult, for the puma was often observed at one place in the morning
and at another place twenty miles away in the evening.
search = hunt
Wherever it went, it left behind it a trail of dead deer and small animals like rabbits.
-- Wherever he went, the wound left behind him a trail of blood.（n.血）
Paw prints were seen in a number of places and puma fur was found clinging to bushes.
puma fur was found clinging to bushes. （被动）
à We found the puma fur clinging to bushes. （主动）
-- clinging to bushes是现在分词短语做宾补
Several people complained of "cat-like noises' at night and a businessman on a fishing trip
saw the puma up a tree.
complain of/about sth 抱怨某事
-- on the rise 在上升 / on the increase 在增加
-- on the watch 在观看 / on the match 在比赛中
-- on the fishing trip 在钓鱼的途中 / on holiday 在度假
The experts were now fully convinced that the animal was a puma, but where had it come
Fully（adv.充分地, 完全地）= completely = entirely
As no pumas had been reported missing from any zoo in the country, this one must have
been in the possession of a private collector and somehow managed to escape.
sth be in the possession of sb = sth be in sb's possession 某物归某人所有(主语是物)
-- The beautiful car is in my possession.= The beautiful car is in the possession of me.
Sb be in possession of sth 某人拥有某物(主语是人)
-- I am in possession of the beautiful car.（in possession of… 做表语）
-- The person in possession of the big house is excited. （in possession of… 做定语）
take possession of… 拥有…
The hunt went on for several weeks, but the puma was not caught.
Went on = lasted （last vi.继续, 持续）
It is disturbing to think that a dangerous wild animal is still at large in the quiet countryside.
It is disturbing to think that... 一想到…就心理不安
-- It is disturbing to think that I fail my examination
in the quiet countryside 在宁静的山村
[编辑] Special difficulties 难点
[编辑] Exercises A
[编辑] Exercises B
- He is the man we have heard about so much.
- The shelf you put those books on has collapsed.（vi.倒塌, 崩溃, 瓦解）
- Whom did you receive a letter from?
- 特殊疑问句中whom 不能省略（本句）。
- 定语从句中Which以及指代人的做宾语的Whom, 在非正式用法当中可以省略。
- 省略时，介词不能前置到关系代词Whom, Which前，只能用于非固定的动词短语后面。
- look for：寻找（去掉for后look没有寻找的意思，所以介词for不能前置）
- look at：注视
- live in：居住（去掉in后live仍有居住的意思，所以介词in可以前置）
- This is the old house in which he lived. = This is the old house he lived in.
- This is the road we came by?
- Where is the pencil you were playing with?
[编辑] Multiple choice questions 多项选择
- … 正确答案：D in common adv.共有 （替换了similar）
- … 正确答案：B
- A）只是一个具体的特定的事列，阅读理解题的时候要把握中心大意 B） large cat
- persuade v.说服, 劝说
- … 答案正确：C
- … 答案正确：C
- make somebody do（在主动语态中不定式的符号to应该省略）
- be made to do（被动语态中不定式的符号to必须补充完整）
- -- They made her wait for hours. à She was made to wait for hours.
- … 答案正确： D
- A）把say改成claim就对了 （-- People claimed to have seen the puma.）
- … 正确答案：B
- 原句中的 when引导的时间状语从句表示：－...就…（as soon as）
- 被动：On being observed, it immediately ran away.
- 主动：On observing her, it immediately ran away.
- On seeing me, he waved to me.
- … 正确答案：D
- unless = if...not = except on the condition that…
- when = if
- -- …except when they are cornered. = …except if they are cornered.
- -- Whenever you come, you are welcome. = If ever you come, you are welcome.
- … 正确答案：D
- A）must be只是对客观现实的推测，时态不一致
- -- 对于过去事实推测一定要用：情态动词+ have +过去分词
- … 正确答案：C
- on more than = nothing more than = only / within = not more than
- … 正确答案：B
- in a corner 偷偷摸摸地, 暗中地, 秘密地
- in a trap 落于陷阱中
- at an angle 不正的, 倾斜的（angle n.角, 角度, 角落, 墙角, 棱角）
- under cover 在遮蔽处, 秘密地, 暗中
- ... 正确答案：B
- fishes for pleasure 钓鱼消遣 travel for pleasure 外出游玩 read for pleasure 阅读消遣
- … on one's own adv.独自地, 独立地, 主动地 （= alone）
- for one's own benefit 为了某人自己的利益